NJCUL is Collecting 80 Examples of “Banking You Can Trust” in Honor of its 80th Anniversary!
The NJ CU League is celebrating its 80th anniversary this year! In honor of this milestone and our member credit unions’ continued support, the League wants to highlight New Jersey credit unions' dedication to providing members “Banking You Can Trust”. We’re asking our member credit unions to provide us with examples of how they have provided “Banking You Can Trust” this year.
Send your credit union’s examples of “Banking You Can Trust” to the League at email@example.com. Photos are strongly encouraged! We’ll be featuring all of these great stories and photos at our 80th Annual Meeting and Convention September 21-23, 2014 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, N.J.
We want to hear personal accounts of a credit union helping a family avoid foreclosure and remain in their home, helping a high school student finance the college education they never thought they could afford, helping a small business get off the ground, and more. Even scholarships you provide, Reality Fairs you sponsor, or community events you host can be included! Consider all that your credit union has done this year and has yet to do. You can even send in information on a future event for 2014. And you're not limited to one submission! Credit unions can send as many examples of “Banking You Can Trust” as they can! Send them all!
Help us collect 80 examples of “Banking You Can Trust” for our 80 years!
80 for 80 Submissions
1. The Southern Chapter of Credit Unions donated a Biz Kid$ DVD box set to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals through Credit Unions for Kids and the National Credit Union Foundation.
2. A Liberty Savings FCU member faced a few years of troubled times. The credit union gave him a second chance when he fell behind on his car loan payments, helped him go on a vacation he thought he could never afford, and qualified him for a loan to pay legal fees to regain custody of his children who were danger. He personally thanked six employees of the credit union who helped him on his journey, calling them “angels from heaven” and referring to one as “a true friend”.
Garden Savings FCU President/CEO Lou Vetere with the 2014 Corporate Partner of the Year award.
3. Garden Savings FCU was named the 2014 Corporate Partner of the Year by the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Morris, Bergen, Passaic and Sussex. The credit union was recognized for their efforts throughout the year in supporting the organization by means of fund raising, participating in the annual BBBS Walk for Kids Sake and other events, conducting on-location clothing drives at their various branches, and supporting the BBBS monthly giving campaign at an individual level.
The crowd having fun at the CUNJ Foundation's bingo event.
4. The Credit Union of New Jersey (CUNJ) Foundation held a very successful Coach/Cash Bingo night to benefit the local Ewing community. All proceeds of the event will go to the families affected by a March gas explosion in the South Fork housing development in Ewing, N.J. The explosion damaged 55 condominiums, 22 of which are inhabitable. The explosion also claimed one life. The CUNJ Foundation also gave gift cards and monetary donation of $2,500 to the Ewing Township victims, as well as utilizing their five branches as drop off locations for clothes, blankets, and toiletries. The Credit Union of New Jersey Foundation is also collecting monetary donations from their members and employees.
Members 1st of NJ FCU members line up to have their confidential documents securely shredded.
5. Members 1st of NJ FCU sponsored a free shredding event on Saturday, April 26, 2014. Members brought over 3500 pounds of confidential documents to be safely shredded. The credit union hosts a free shredding event every spring and fall to help members defend themselves against Identity Theft.
6. Advanced Financial FCU held a Member Appreciation Day on June 20th. The event was open to the public and free to everyone who works or resides in New Providence, N.J. It was a fun-filled day that included BBQ food, ice cream, games, and freebees.
West Orange Municipal FCU President/CEO Sandy Mullins with the scholarship recipient Michael Zarro.
7. West Orange Municipal FCU announced the winner of its $1,000 Richard A. Giuditta, Sr. memorial scholarship. The 2014 scholarship was awarded to Michael Zarro from West Orange High School during the Senior Award Night on May 29, 2014. The scholarship program, now in its 15th year, is open to students pursuing a two or four year post-secondary education. The credit union has awarded over $21,000 in scholarships since we began the program for the Class of 1999.
JSFCU scholarship winners James Mullin and Leanna Mullen.
8. Jersey Shore Federal Credit Union (JSFCU) has announced the winners of its $1,000 Benson/Hunt Scholarship and $1,000 Surf Club Scholarship. James Mullin from Mainland Regional High School was awarded the Benson/Hunt Scholarship and he will be attending Rutgers University in the fall. Leanna Mullen of Hammonton was awarded the Surf Club Scholarship for members 18-25 that are already enrolled in an institution of higher education.
9. On May 7, the Affinity Federal Credit Union Foundation presented a check for $4,100 to the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans Memorial/Vietnam Era Museum and Educational Center in Holmdel, N.J. This grant will establish the Affinity Federal Credit Union Scholarship, awarded to a high school senior from New Jersey who has visited the Center and written an essay on his/her experience, as well as provide the opportunity for students from low-income school districts to take a class trip to the Memorial and Museum.
Pictured Left to Right: John J. DiNofrio, MDPC Foundation Vice President; DeAnnette Stantoncross, AtlantiCare Practice Manager; John C. DiNofrio, MDPC Foundation President & JSFCU Board Chair; Jamie Roche, Fox Chase Associate Director of Donor Events; and Tonya DiNofrio, MDPC Board Member.
10. On Saturday, May 3, 2014 at Birch Grove Park in Northfield, N.J., the Marianne DiNofrio Pancreatic Cancer Research Foundation (MDPC), along with their top sponsor, Jersey Shore Federal Credit Union (JSFCU), hosted its fifth Annual “5K in May Run/Walk” to help raise awareness and funding for pancreatic cancer research.