Wednesday, July 30, 2014
(GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
CU Web Training Webinar:
Real Estate Lending Series: Avoiding HMDA Reporting Mistakes
HMDA Reporting Mistakes – Can you spell e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e?
The March 2014 NCUA Report contained a dialog with the new Deputy Director of the Office of Consumer Protection titled “Compliance Management, HMDA Data Quality Top Fair Lending Concerns”. This included a comment from the Director that “Credit unions should ensure that the staff responsible for HMDA reporting receives training and establish a verification system to test HMDA data.” An on-site fair lending exam can be triggered by HMDA “outlier” data when there are indications that lending practices are outside the normal range for pricing, denials, withdrawals, or loan terms when compared to other credit unions. Risk-focused exams are showing HMDA data quality errors.
In addition, the CFPB fined a “non-bank” mortgage company $425,000 in 2013 for HMDA reporting errors and sent a strong message to regulators that “getting it right” is important. What did they do wrong? How can you avoid these fines, penalties, and headaches? What does the HMDA data tell regulators about potential fair lending problems? This seminar will cover the basic requirements for accurate HMDA data collection. Learn how to use the HMDA “Getting it Right Guide” and other tools to help streamline your efforts and detect potential reporting errors.
Don’t Miss the Other Real Estate Lending Series Webinars!
Sign up for the entire series and receive 6 webinars for the price of 5!
Click here to learn more about the Real Estate Lending Series
- Overview of HMDA requirements, including proper data collection of the 26 data fields
- Common HMDA reporting errors
- Best practices for HMDA data validation
- Key data fields that are targeted for fair lending analysis
- 14 data fields that will be required under the expanded requirements of section 1094 of the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Act
- Update on the CFPB proposal for HMDA reporting
- When do regulators assess civil money penalties for HMDA reporting violations?
- What are three negative impacts from data errors in HMDA reporting?
- HMDA worksheets and flowchart
- Step-by-step data collection definitions and important tips to avoid mistakes
- HMDA compliance resources, including checklists and a matrix of 37 types of real-estate-secured lending regulation requirements
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for loan operations, loan officers, lending assistants and processors, compliance officers, fair lending officers, and auditors.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
Webinar content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual credit union’s use only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
Susan Costonis, Compliance Consulting and Training for Financial Institutions
View Registration Options and Pricing